25th Anniversary Crimson Fist Model Review

I just couldn't help myself when I first saw this miniature. Within minutes of seeing a sneak peek picture I had found my way to the advance orders section of the site and added this item to my cart. My finger did hover over the mouse for a split second when considering whether to go ahead, but my magpie instinct kicked in and I knew I could not live with myself if I passed up this opportunity. 

And so after a month of waiting, this...



....landed on my door step. The box is simply delightful, however I was worried slightly with how much rattling was going on inside. 


I love the lid style feature, showing off the beautifully painted heavy metal example. The magnetic clasp on the front cover added a nice little bit of consideration and care to the box design. So far so good.


This is what I found inside....


I must admit, with this being my first fine cast purchase, I was very worried. We have all heard the horror stories, or been on the receiving end of them, but I have to admit, this model seems pretty clean. The only issue I have is that the banner top had snapped off, however I don't see this being a terrible problem to fix up with a little pin. There are some minor bubbles, but nothing a little green stuff wont sort out, and the trade off for detail is well worth it in my opinion.


The model has some lovely little details. the fist on the back pack being one of  my favourite. The power fist is also absolutely stunning.






So the vital question, is it worth the price tag. As a stand alone miniature I would say no. I mean £20 for what is essentially a veteran sergeant is expensive, even with the tidy banner and the scenic rubble. 

However this miniature represents so much more than a space marine sergeant. This is a piece of GW heritage. I hope that I will be able to look back at this miniature in 10, 20 or even another 25 years and think, that's still a great Iconic model or wow look how much everything has changed. 

So all in all this was a great purchase. It has left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside and I am glad to see that  GW still have it in them to please their ever more discerning customers. 

   

Comments

  1. I to got one of these, and I was inpressed with the box and art work. But like you I was worried with all the noise the box made, but mine made to me complete with no broken parts. I have found on the base a few places were the resin is very thin to the point of being see through, but I think the good old green stuff can solve that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of the other guys from my gaming club had broken standards..I must have been lucky to get one that wasn't

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I'm still waiting on mine to turn up in the post. Fingers crossed I get a good sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 of my gaming club members had the same issue with the broken standard pole, it seems common - I just got lucky with mine I think as it's a very nice cast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment