Gold NMM with foundation paints

Since taking this picture I have done a bit more work on my knights of the realm unit, and I have to say I am pleased with the result over the whole unit.  It was difficult choosing the colours at first. Lots of tutorials use oranges, but I wanted an old burnished gold look. Once I had seen tau sept Ochre lying in my paint box though, I knew I had to try it. The great thing about the foundation range is that it holds a lot of water.

Here's the layers I used.

Calthan Brown as a base
Layer of Calthan brown and tau sept ochre (1:1 ratio)
Highlight of Tau sept ochre
Highlight of Tau sept Ochre and Iyanden Darksun (1:1 ratio)
Highlight of Iyanden Darksun
Highlight of Iyanden Darksun and white (1:1 ratio)
White was added to the extremities of where the light was reflecting.

I will admit its far from perfect, I think I still have a long way to go in refining this technique, but for now the result is passable.

It was always one of my ambitions to finish up the Bretonians without the use of metallic paints, and after a good session yesterday on the boat home, I have realised this is going to extend painting time enormously. However, as a learning tool I think this will be invaluable to my hobby career.

I will get some pics up of the whole unit soon. but please tell me what you think of the NMM. All c&c welcome.

Comments

  1. Very nice, believable effect. Thanks for the color information too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. Ive got a few more done now, so will be posting them up in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment