Lasgun conversions- Part 3

In this instalment we will be looking at a cut down version of the lasgun- the las carbine. I use this weapon for my veteran squads to help distinguish them from regular troopers. All that you need is a Cadian pattern lasgun, a few different thickness's of plastic rod and a sharp knife and modelling file. So onto the tutorial...

 An Example of the rod sizes you will need.
 So the areas in red above are areas that will need trimmed off. Its not clear in this picture, but the top mounted sight needs to be cleaned flat as well. Its much easier to see where to cut in the next picture...
With the eagle removed, the front barrel and the top sight gone, we need to cut roughly five mm off the end of the gun casing, like so...
Then remove the area marked in red by making a straight cut through the gun along the pink line.
You should end up with something like this...
At this point I like to add a slight chamfer (or diagonal) along the edge of the weapon casing, to smooth the lines a little bit, and make it easier for guardsmen hands to hold the weapon.
I simply scrape a sharp knife along the edge of the casing until I get a smooth level line. Then I remove the grip detail on the weapons' stock and drill a hole in the front of the weapon for the barrels to go.
The barrel is going to be made out of two short pieces of plastic rod. The thinner of the two rods will be glued to the casing, placed in the hole I have drilled. The thicker piece will be glued on the end of the smaller piece, as weapons muzzle.


 And in the end it should look something like...

Here are a few examples of the weapon on my veterans...

 Above I have added the scope, the tutorial for which can be found HERE


Comments

  1. Nice conversion, although I would have left off the larger piece of plastic rod and used it as an SMG type weapon as it looks a lot like an MP5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like those a LOT! they look much more realistic in terms of scale, and have a great special forces feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great stuff. How long do you think it'll take to outfit your whole army?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it definitely makes the units stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like them guys

    @ItsPug- leaving off the end of the barrel is certainly an option. I originally designed these guys as stealth troops, so the end of the barrel is more like a suppressor, it does have an MP5 feel to it.

    @Dethtron- It actually only takes about ten minutes to convert the weapon. It took me half an hour to do the one above, but that included stopping to take pictures. The fiddly bit is the barrel. I don't plan on using this weapon for the whole army, mainly just the veteran squads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solid Conversions. Simple, yet extremely effective. I Came over from the Honor Roll at SCWH, and consider me a follower. Awesome work,well written and documented tutorial too. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tim. I hope to have some more work in this series up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment